Friday, January 29, 2010

Wineries of Niagara:Part 1

The past couple of days in Niagara have been numbingly chilly, thus activities have been kept inside, with either a hot chocolate or tea in one hand and a book in the other. Although, today I decided to embrace the cold and tour around a few of the local wineries.

The first stop on my agenda was Hillebrand.
Hillebrand is one of the oldest wineries in the area, and a winery that has created many firsts for the wine industry. Hillebrand's signature label is the Trius, which at first was only a Red wine, and over the years the Trius family has grown to a Trius White, a Trius Brut, and a couple other single varietals. Hillebrand's other label is the Artist Series, which pairs an Ontario artist to a wine, and their artwork is displayed on the wine label.
I tasted two of the Artist Series, two of the Trius wines, and of course, I had to end with an Icewine. Everything I tasted was fantastic, but I am only going to mention my favourites.

2007 Artist Series Gewurztraminer (1)- To me it was quite an unorthodox Gewurzt, it did not have the traditional rose water aroma, but caramel, and the taste was citrus and buttery with a nice balance of acidity and a finish that lingered in my mouth wanting more. What surprised me the most, was after a couple minutes I went back to the Gewurzt to give it another smell, and it was full of caramel butterscotch aromas. Absolutely delicious, and for under $20, it's a steal.

2008 Trius Cabernet Franc (0)- I always have to try a Cab Franc, because that is where my heart is and the Trius Cab Franc did not disappoint. It had a luscious aroma of dark cherry, clove and earthy notes, and the flavour had a delicious dark berry, smokey character to it, with a nice balance of acidity and tannins. And to believe it is that young and drinking that smoothly. Kudos to Darryl Brooker, the winemaker, for making another great Cabernet Franc for me to fall in love with. This Cab Franc is only $15, it may make you feel guilty for spending so little on something so good.

2008 Showcase Riesling Icewine (21)- Riesling Icewine is my favourite, because the nice acidity that the Riesling grape has balances well with the sweetness. This Icewine had a beautiful dark gold colour to it, nice floral, honey aroma and a delicious apricot, honey taste. It was absolutely fantastic, I wanted to savour it to the very last drop and for $70 a bottle, you need to savour it.

The next stop, Pillitteri. This is a family owned winery, that opened their doors in the early 1990's to the wine world. The winery is always hopping, with many large groups coming to visit to taste their infamous Icewines, which is their focus. So with the focus being Icewine, that is what I tried.

2006 Vidal Icewine (19)- This is Marc Bradshaw, the winemakers recommendation. Aromas of burnt honey and tropical fruit, with a delicious caramel butterscotch flavour that left my taste buds very satisfied.

2006 Shiraz Icewine (22)- This was the first time I have had a Shiraz Icewine, and it was absolutely gorgeous. Candy apple on the nose, and a honey and spice mouthfeel, with a nice balance of acidity and sweetness. A very nice treat for a special occasion.


Our last stop on our list was Peller Estates.
It is a beautiful and grand winery that is most recently known for their Ice Cuvee, which is an incredible combination of bubbly and Icewine, and is Lawrence Buhler's recommendation. Peller has won many awards for their outstanding wines, and they are well-known across Canada. I tried quite a few delicious wines, but sadly, can't mention them all, so I will stick to my top three.

2008 Private Reserve Sauvignon Blanc (1)- This wine had a nice grassy and melon fragrance, and the mouthfeel was elegantly balanced with citrus, pear and green apple and a touch of mineral to it. Another great find for under $20.

2008 Private Reserve Riesling (0)- A delicious Riesling with a floral noise and pink grapefruit, green apple, and orange zest characteristics. A refreshing Riesling on those hot summer Niagara days, and for under $20, its a must for summer celebrations.

2007 Signature Series Chardonnay 'Sur Lie' (0)- This wine shocked me because I am not much of a Chardonnay drinker. It was nicely balanced with aromas of spice, green apple, and lemon. There was a faint hint of the creamy buttery quality that Chardonnays give off, but it was not overpowering. This Chardonnay sells for $30, which in my opinion, another steal.

To finish the day we headed to Tony DeLuca's, Old Winery Restaurant for a delicious dinner, Tony never disappoints. The Old Winery Restaurant is a hip, vibrant place to eat, or to relax with a glass of wine and some tapas in the lounge. And who couldn't love a Chef like Tony DeLuca, who is always happy to see you no matter who you are.

Overall, a fun way to spend a day off for either a local or a tourist. I highly recommend you spend a day touring the wineries and finding your own favourites, and when you do, let me know what you think.

Until my next adventure, stay warm.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. I think with your insight, experience and connections to the industry hold a lot of potential for you. You're on the cusp of a really well-rounded, interesting take and presentation of an industry that attracts a lot of writers who are all about the posturing but offer little by way of substance. Plus, you are at an age that can make the wine world accessible and interesting to what's typically a beer crowd. Run with it.

    ReplyDelete